Tuesday, January 27, 2009

25 Random Things about Me

I wrote these "25 Things" yesterday (for posting in Facebook) and thought I would post them here as well.

RULES: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you.

1. I finally figured out how to write a note in FB!!
2. I grew up in Dayton, Ohio with my parents, two younger sisters, and Polish grandmother.
3. My grandmother, Babcia, spoke little English and couldn't walk. My sisters and I learned to be care-takers at a young age. Loving and taking care of Babcia taught us a lot... and, made us appreciate what a special gift she was to us.
4. I watched my Babcia take her last breathes... I still cry when I think of that moment.
5. After I graduated from High School, I went to Jagiellonian University in Krakow, Poland.
6. A year later, I went through freshman orientation at Ohio University and thought that the orientation was very babyish. I didn't have anything like that when I lived in Krakow... It seemed like a step backwards...
7. My 8-year old son reads faster than I do... He's read all the Harry Potter books... Several times.
8. I love photography. My Dad does, too. So, he gave me everything I needed to have an amazing dark room in my house... I spent many hours taking pictures, developing and printing film.
9. I convinced my high school (with the help of my mom) to start a school newspaper. They wouldn't let me start a paper on my own. Instead, they made the project into a class... I believe the school newspaper is still going today.
10. At one time, I wanted to be a photo journalist... taking pictures, writing stories and travelling around the world.
11. I was also pretty serious about becoming a chiropractor. I took organic chemistry for nothing!
12. I am on the board of the Greensboro Chapter of the American Red Cross. On the Greensboro Historical Museum's Board of Trustees. And, am the president of the Piedmont Pi Beta Phi Alumnae Club.
13. I wish my family wasn't so far away... My parents live outside of Chicago (can't drive that!) and BOTH my sisters and their families live across the ocean... in Paris, France. I think that is too far and miss them often. Thank God for phones, computers and airplanes! If it weren't for the 6 hour time difference, it wouldn't be so bad.
14. I loved visiting Istanbul, Turkey. It is an amazing city with amazing people and history.
15. I grew up going to the opera... And, I loved going. (My husband doesn't like operas so much.)
16. My favorite after school snack was a big bowl of chocolate ice cream with peanut butter mixed in... Of course, I ate it while watching Oprah...
17. I didn't know anything about football when I married Doug. I had to pass his "basic football knowledge" test before we got married. I don't know how I passed! lol. =)
18. I took piano lessons at 6 years old. But, can barely play anymore... I want to buy a piano. I also played the flute... (and tried the clarinet, french horn, violin... anything else? hmmm..)
19. My daughter has just ONE dimple when she smiles... Just like I do... On the same side as mine!
20. I have fond memories of dancing around the house with my sisters as a little girl... while my Dad played the piano...
21. The story of The Little Match Girl makes me cry.
22. My mom was the coolest mom ever... She threw the best birthday parties... And, let my sister and me invite an amazing amount of kids... She could whip up a party in a heart beat. I wouldn't know what I would do without my well thought out and organized plan of activities!
23. I met my husband in Warsaw, Poland. (Although, he isn't Polish at all.) We were married exactly 1 year and 1 day from our first date!
24. I love to dance. I love dancing to ABBA!
25. I can't cook. Doug is stuck cooking most dinners we eat together. (Although, I'm pretty good at making side dishes!)
26. I love to read my sister Liza's stories. I wish she would write more.
27. My sister Greta and I have the same birthday. We still call each other on our birthday, Feb 1st, and sing, "Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah... You say it's your birthday... It's my birthday, too. Yah!"
28. The Super Bowl is on my birthday AGAIN this year. Doug was BORN on Super Bowl Sunday. I think the football game should always be played on his birthday... not mine.
29. Despite this, I'm glad he is going to go to the "Steelers Bowl". He is super excited.
30. Oops... I wrote more than 25 but I'm not going to take any out!

No comments: